Controls

General discussions that don't match any of the other forums go here. Impressions on retro gaming. Overall experience with the replay. Post it here.
WheatPasta
Loading…

Re: Controls

Post by WheatPasta » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:44 pm

sloanez526 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:29 pm
It appears that it's only letting me use one replay joystick at a time.
Are you using two USB dongles? If so use one controller that you are sure works and try to sync it to one dongle then unplug it and try the other dongle to make sure they both work.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

coinoptv

Post by coinoptv » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Update -- I went and purchased the Xbox One (bluetooth) wireless controller to use with my Dreamcade Replay. I don't own an Xbox One but it syncs nicely with the Dreamcade Replay and Windows 10 pretty easily via Bluetooth. So far so good after about two weeks -- I was originally gonna opt in for some of the retro-looking controllers but now that I've been using it for a bit it's starting to grow on me. My only hiccup is I seem to always have to map/remap the button controls whenever I start a new game.

The only other downside is the Xbox One controller automatically goes into sleep mode if you don't use it after 15 minutes and I haven't found a trick around this -- maybe by plugging it in? Doesn't come with any wires and retails for $60. I'm unsure if I'll purchase another one for two player games -- anyone try using two Xbox One controllers at the same time? btw it takes two AA batteries which is strange as I'm used to my other controllers (PS4/Switch) which come with rechargeable batteries inside.

-Rob

WheatPasta
Loading…

Post by WheatPasta » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:42 pm

coinoptv wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:06 pm
anyone try using two Xbox One controllers at the same time? btw it takes two AA batteries which is strange as I'm used to my other controllers (PS4/Switch) which come with rechargeable batteries inside.
While I have not I would imagine that each have a unique Bluetooth ID when connected to Windows. You would just have to sync one at a time, and then either set Player One and Two in RetroArch or under settings> change player order in the stock front end.

When it comes to replacing the double A batteries you should be able to use something like this. However before buying any I would make sure to check the pack mAh rating. Some claim 2000 mAH. and others claim 1200 mAh. Not to mention that some sellers use poor quailty cells or lie about mAh size. I would also check reviews on Amazon and YouTube on the packs to get an idea of how good they really are.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

Alpharius
Member Level 4
Member Level 4

Post by Alpharius » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:39 pm

OK!

Finally got my Replay in, and up and running - and I'm loving it!

Now, while the 'stock' controllers are nice, and get the job done, they do so in a 'bare minimum' feeling kind of way.

I'm looking for something with a little more 'oomph' to them - a heavier feel, something closer to a PS4 without the extra hoops of using a PS4 controller, if that makes sense?

I'd love an 'arcade stick' as was featured the first go'round with the Dreamcade campaign, but that didn't materialize this time - but hopefully it will later!

Any suggestions for a good controller that works seemlessly for the Replay?

Thanks!
Nil nos tremefacit.

Choaf
Member Level 4
Member Level 4

Post by Choaf » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:41 pm

coinoptv wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:06 pm
Doesn't come with any wires and retails for $60. I'm unsure if I'll purchase another one for two player games -- anyone try using two Xbox One controllers at the same time? btw it takes two AA batteries which is strange as I'm used to my other controllers (PS4/Switch) which come with rechargeable batteries inside.

-Rob
Yeah MS truely has been cheap with their controllers making you buy a play recharge kit from them or 3rd party. Luckily its just a micro USB cable. If you buy a play and charge kit it will have the cable but if you want longer and are near a walmart go look in the PS4 section they have a 10ft cable there for PS4 controllers for 5 bucks.
In god we trust, all others must pay cash.

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:51 pm

Does the Dreamcade Reply have Bluetooth hardware built in? If so, why does the delivered controller come with its own wireless USB adapter?

I would also love to hear recommendations on a rock solid arcade fight stick that would support most arcade games and works well in your lap.

Thanks!

Choaf
Member Level 4
Member Level 4

Post by Choaf » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:54 pm

RunningMan wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:51 pm
Does the Dreamcade Reply have Bluetooth hardware built in? If so, why does the delivered controller come with its own wireless USB adapter?

I would also love to hear recommendations on a rock solid arcade fight stick that would support most arcade games and works well in your lap.

Thanks!
I didnt think that controller was bluetooth just wireless. And also thats older tech so it will always be much cheaper.
In god we trust, all others must pay cash.

Bootleghooch
Member Level 3
Member Level 3

Post by Bootleghooch » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:27 am

The Dreamcade Replay DOES support Bluetooth, but as stated, for some reason they opted for the dongle (cost or availability seem likely). Probably 2.4 ghz.

Alpharius
Member Level 4
Member Level 4

Post by Alpharius » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:18 am

Yesterday, my bog standard 'Replay' controllers worked fine.

Today, they don't work at all.

2 controllers, but charged, two dongles, nothing works.

Dongle plugged in - Replay puts up the icon of the correct controller - push (and double tap) the Replay button - red lights flash - then eventually go out - and the controller doesn't work at all.

Am I SOL on these controllers?

Should I just buy an 8Bitdo and go that route?

The Replay is so close to great - but...
Nil nos tremefacit.

Alpharius
Member Level 4
Member Level 4

Post by Alpharius » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:16 pm

Update: I was doing it wrong? :)

First press the "Replay" button, wait for it to start to flash, then press and hold it in until only one red light is lit - good to go!

Having said that, I did get an 8Bitdo SN30 PRO controller, and I'm loving it!
Nil nos tremefacit.